Thread: Barrel/Receiver Alignment issue with new FLCP-K

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Barrel/Receiver Alignment issue with new FLCP-K

Howdy all, I'm new here. I have a Savage BTVLSS .22 that I absolutely love. Picked up a brand new in the box FLCP-K .308 the week of Christmas and have had a heck of a time with it. I think my next step is sending it back to Savage, but thought I'd check in with the forum to see if there is any other advice.

- The rifle is new in box, or at least it was before I put ~20 rounds through it with this issue.
    - Scope is a new Vortex PST 6-24x50.
    - scope rings/base is a DNZ Game Reaper model 34200 1 piece.

I mounted the base and scope without trouble, everything was/is level and went on without any trouble. Torqued to ~22 in/pounds.

First range trip:

• Got to the range and set up at 100 yards...not even on paper. BIG paper, like 3 ft x 3 ft.
    • Brought it in to 25 yards and find I'm hitting ~13" right and 4" low.
    • Ran the scopes windage adjustment all the way 1 direction, counting clicks, and then all the back the other way, then returned to center.
    • Put a round within 1/8" of the first shot - 13" right and 4" low. So, I'm confident the scope is tracking and the reticle centered.
    • Used nearly 100% of the windage to get 'almost' into the bull. I figure I'm needing close to 15mil of adjustment. That's no good.

Second range trip
    • Pulled the scope off the Savage and popped it onto my Ruger GSR. Nearly dead center with first shot. So, confirming the scope isn't to blame.
    • Popped a Leupold VX-R (from the Ruger) onto the Savage. 1st shot is ~13" right and 4" low. At least it's consistent!

Third Range Trip
    • New mount, same model though, I was hoping the least expensive bit of gear in the mix was the culprit.
    • Still 13" right and 4" low.
    • The mount sits square/flush with the receiver contour, so I don't think the screw holes are off center. The eye and rudimentary measurements says they're centered.

I sent an email off the DNZ asking if their mount was Right hand specific and won't work on my Left handed action...they say that's not the problem. Terrific service BTW, very quick to respond and helpful.

So...that leaves me with the rifle being buggered up. Perhaps the barrel and receiver aren't mating properly? I hesitate to do any wrenching on it as it's brand new. But, I also don't like that I have to pay shipping back to Savage for them to warranty it.

Any suggestions for what to try before sending it in?
    If I do send it in, what's the typical Warranty Service experience with Savage? Will they send me a shipping label?

Thanks all!

- tim
    Last edited by WNC Seabee; 01-31-2014 at 06:31 PM.