I just got a featherweight thumbhole Boyds stock. I haven't read where anyone mentioned trouble getting the escutcheons and action screws out of the plastic Savage stock. I removed the rear action screw and threaded it in a little ways from the inside and tapped it lightly and it came loose easily. I removed the screw and pulled the escutcheon out with my fingers. The problem came with the front action screw and escutcheon. The action screw backed out enough to remove the stock but that's all. It had a retaining clip on the inside. I used a screwdriver and pliers to remove the clip but I can't get the screw to back out or the escutcheon to move. I've tried tapping, I've tried holding the escutcheon with pliers and turning the screw and nothing is working. Are the screw and escutcheon one piece? Which way do they come out? That D-clip bothers me because I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no business owning any tools. Any help or guidance you can give me will be appreciated. Right now I have some Kroil on them. I know I can cut them out but I hate to in case I have to return the gun to Savage. Thanks.

Carl