The time has come that I need to start thinking about better herd management. Not only am I concerned with whitetails, turkey too. Checked out a trail cam another hunter had on the property, yes I was told to do so, and saw 2 sixes, 1 eight, and some big does. A bobcat too, he'll look nice on a mount with a UK b-ball!

I'm stocking up(when I'm not feeding my new addiction, upgrading my Savages) on various mineral blocks, sacks of corn, and "Rainshed Corn Blocks"-they're sold at Tractor Supply and Southern States. These three items will be in holes, together, I'm digging around the property where I've seen big buck sign and heavy trails, I won't hunt over them though. I have 3 locations in mind. I've also got two apple trees on my own property that I plan to bring some to help supplement my hunting property and disperse at these feed sites.

So, now you know my small scale plan. My question is: What kind of food plot can be planted for better forbs and mast? It needs to grow without being watered by me, shaded areas, and takes little care on my part. The property is going to be logged soon and there will be opening in the tree cover, just don't know where. The logging won't be taking any mature oaks since there aren't any, they were logged out years ago . There's less than 70 acres here so the logging won't be taking out huge expanses, and I know deer travel much further so I want to keep them in my neighborhood, not somewhere else!
Thanks for the help!