Hi All,
Been a member for a few years and have gathered a ton of useful info from you guys... Thank You. I don't like the fact that my first post is a negative one, but it is what it is. I ordered a McGowen barrel through Gun Shack which was shipped 10 days ago and received it today (usps priority mail-2 day) so i got off to a bad start. That being said, thought i'd clean it prior to installing so i ran a few wet patches through, dried, and decided to take a look at the bore. I'm not a gunsmith, or an engineer, or a brain surgeon, and i didn't spend last night at a Holiday Inn..... but i do have a bore scope. First impressions were good (only have 2 Shilens and a Lilja to compare as far as aftermarket) however, at closer inspection i found some "slight" gouging approx. 3 to 6 inches from muzzle on one of the lands. Looking closer found a few other "marks" on adjacent lands. Kinda difficult to explain so i won't, unless asked. Bottom line.... I'm just an average Joe... you know the type... you spend months agonizing over which caliber to build, which dies, powder, brass, bullets, which barrelmaker, etc., etc., etc., and then you finally make all the decisions.... 6.5x55, lee collet/redding bump, etc., etc., etc., get everything ordered and on hand, plunk down the cash for a barrel and then barrel shows up with "questionable" defects. Gun Shack was closed today so i'll try to get ahold of them in the am and come up with a plan. I don't know... guess i just expected more. Is there no quality control or is it just lame? Did they think they could "slip one through" and take a chance on nobody catching it? This could very well be the most accurate barrel i own, but my common sense tells me that with the impefections on the lands it could turn out to be a notsoaccuratecopperfouling pig. I'm not bashing... yet... just venting. I'm sure that McGowen, like any reputable company, will do what's right and I look forward to getting this straightened out. Thanks for listening... comments or questions welcomed. Great site, by the way.

mm242