Howdy fellers, I just bought a new Axis .308 from Wallyworld ($296 after tax & background check) to build an inexpensive deer gun. I bought the model with the 2 piece weaver mounts but with no rings and scope since I wanted a higher end scope. I settled on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC from Dicks ($147 shipped). I've got the rifle and the scope, now I need some decent rings. I was considering some Leapers Deluxe 1" weavers from the sportsmansguide.come since they are only $11 and have plenty of good reviews. If anyone out there has a similar setup and can chime in I would really appreciate it. I'm on a very tight budget and just need something that will last, works well and gives proper eye relief and height. Nothing fancy. My target price for the complete package is around $450, so I'm still pretty close. I am building this rifle to be an inexpensive, reliable, utilitarian tool that will give years of good service with little or nothing left wanting for a long range hunting rifle at the price point I've set.

The specs for my Prostaff are:

• Magnification

3-9x
  • Objective Diameter

40mm
  • Exit Pupil

4.4-13.3mm
  • Field of View

11.3-33.8 ft @ 100 yds
  • Tube Diameter - Other

1 in
  • Eye Relief