I am building a 223 for my 11 yr old. I started this over a year ago and just got back to the project. Long action. Used a SSS extender for the 223 bolt head. Problem is I am only getting about 1 of 5 to fire. I have check the headspace again. Bolt closes fine with go gauge and it very tight to close with a single piece of Scott tape on the go-gauge. I have used the same method for 20 + plus barrel swaps with no issues. The fired rounds have a minimal increase in the shoulder, ~+0.002". This combo of action, barrel, and stock are all new to each other. I bedded the action with Devcon last year. I know originally I had some clearance issues with the trigger/sear and the sear wasn't cocking/dropping cleanly. I am fairly sure I have that fixed with a little cleanup work in the stock. I original set the firing pin protrusion at 0.035". The when I took it out last year I had this problem. I adjusted the firing pin to have a 0.060" protrusion and got the same results this year.

I am a little stumped on what to try next.

FYI - LC brass, 52 gr Bergers, 205M, and Benchmark (24.2 gr).

Suggestions? Thanks, Tim

One in the middle is the one that fired. The other 4 seem to have ok primer strikes but don't fire.