I've had a lot of problems, with my 30-'06, determining where the bullet meets the rifling. I'm using the Hornady LnL tool, with the comparator. The problem is that I get two distinct groups of measurement, with any given bullet, in this particular rifle. This morning, I was trying to find the depth - touching the lands - for the Sie 168 MK. This included multiple measurements for four 168 SMK's. I get a group of measurements around 2.661" and another group around 2.687" - with all 4 bullets. I've had this same problem with every bullet I've tried, in this rifle. I know its partly due to the amount of push I give on the LnL rod. There's always a first bit of resistance, and with firm pushing, a bit more give. In every instance, I get very light scoring on the upper side of the bullet - not all the way around - just on the upper side. This leads me to believe the bullet isn't going in exactly straight. Of course, as I re-measure each bullet, the scoring progresses around the bullet.
I do not have this issue with my other five rifles and get more accurate measurements. Somewhere, I'm going wrong.......please advise.
Thanks