Got it done! Shilen Super Match, 24" long, straight taper, 1-11 twist, 5 groove, 11 degree crown, bead blasted finish. This is a 'bench" gun. Probably about 14 pounds on a "J" series action. Richards Micro Fit Wildcat Stock. No recoil.
I figured I'de run with the 6.8 SPC chamber and see how it works. Made it to the range and ran 55 rounds through it while cleaning and checking my worked up loads.
The scope was removed while I replaced the barrel and bolt head so I started at 25 yards to get it sighted back in. The first 2 rounds went in the same hole so I moved out to 100 yards and started shooting.
Cleaning between rounds makes for lousy patterns but it shoots real good.
Started with 90 grain Sierra HPBT. They have a pretty big hole in the HP compared to the Berger VLDs that I'v been shooting so I wasn't too sure how it would group. Not too bad for a hunting bullet. Switched to a 90 grain Speer TNT HPFB and they were grouping about 4" lower than the Sierra. Got most of the groups under 1" with no pressure signs. Both the Sierra and the Speer bullets are at the shoulder neck junction with a .010 jam. For a hunting rig I think it'll do. Not too sure about it being a bench gun but I'll know more as I work on the loads. Should be better now that the brass is fireformed. I'll neck size and reload.
At least I can the the 6.8 SPC works real good on the Savage platform.