Hello all!! it has been years since I have viewed this forum (had to make a new account because I forgot my other). Anyways, I have a bit of a dilemma. I've had a rifle barrel sitting around for years and finally bought a donor gun at a pawnshop(Savage 10 .243) but I am going to rebarrel to a .308( that's the barrel chamber!). BUT it doesn't fit . I remember when I ordered the barrel I had it ordered for a savage 111. it was chambered in .270 and I thought I did my research. both are small shank correct?? I thought I had the barrel ordered to fit a factory savage action and "standard" small shank. But that's not the case, it is SLIGHTLY larger than the factory barrel. The thread pitch is same on both though. I'm just lost here.

I also cannot remember the manufacture of barrel, all is stamped on it is "308 win" on face of barrel also "12" as in 1-12 twist. Is it common for manufacturer not to stamp name on it??? I have a $300+ barrel I know hardly anything about other than its 26" long and doesn't contour.

I was wondering if anyone can give me any information to help me out with my problems. I will include pictures also (as soon as I remember how) Thank you!!!