Thread: 12 BTCSS .223 Great Groups that Go Bad... Need Help Figuring Out.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

12 BTCSS .223 Great Groups that Go Bad... Need Help Figuring Out.

Strange Things goin' on here...

All 3 groups (5 rnds Total per.) start with bug-holes then 5th shot goes left 1/2"...and Next 5 rounds are a .7" -.8" group...Each Time.

I can "call" 1 of those that wrecked the 0.148" group, (but not that far off) but I know sight-picture and trigger-control, etc. were as good as the pictured groups when things went to .7"-.8"

These loads were Hand Trickled to a Digital Hornady scale and then Beam-Scale confirmed to +- 0.05 grains before charging. Brass is all FL sized, trimmed, and seating done with Forster BR die. Essentially Zero Run-Out with this fantastic die. Bullets were 69 SMK's seated to 2.30 - 2.305 OAL on the smallest and 2.345 on the other two groups. Ogive-length was checked for consist. with caliper tool. Powder is VV-N135 and primers Rem. BR-SR. Short of turning the necks it doesn't get much more accuracy-anal that that.

Bore was not scrubbed recently as I shoot about 200 before "Real" cleaning. Usually 2-3 Hopes patches and then dry bore before case. Prob. about 150 rnds. into that cycle. Gun is a Bone-Stock, Thumb-Hole, Savage (BTCSS) .223 with 36x Fixed "T36". I can see very precisely on the paper at 100 yds. Everything is Tight as it should be.

I just have a hard time swallowing my hold and breathing-trigger work going to pot almost "Mechanically Cyclical" like this. So many of the shots in the .7-.8 groups (another 30 rnds.) both before & after the 3 groups above "felt" just as good as the first 4 shots in the 0.148...?

I am thinking that glass-bedding and aluminum pillars would do away with this strange behavior?

What about Heat of barrel? I never let it get too hot to put a hand on but it will get pretty warm below that level.

Lastly, temp 75, wind 5-8 mph, 100 yds between 20 Ft. berms all the way down with lots of trees on top...Essentially zero wind effect on that light a day at only 100, I think.

OK, Time for the Gun-Doctors to take over here and let me know if you think I just SUCK, or if there may be something to this "Gun-Change Rhythm" that a good Epoxy & Pillar job might cure.

Standing-By and Eager as the Devil to Hear ALL..

Steve D.
    Last edited by FishinFool; 11-17-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: correct best group measurement to 0.148