Ok. I rebarreled my model 10 fcp 308 to 7 saum. Took some doing, but that's another thread.
Anyway, I bought a magazine meant to feed wsm based cartridges. The differences between the wsm and saum is in the order of .003-.004" in length, base, and shoulder diameter. Seemed insignificant enough that it should work, right? Wrong.
I can load the rounds into the magazine fairly easily, but when I go to feed and chamber a round the bullet hits the feed ramp in the receiver before the brass, and the cartridge is reluctant to tilt upward at this point so I can feel resistance in the bolt. With a little more effort I can get it to tilt up and continue to feed, but if I push too hard/fast the brass jumps out of the retainers in the magazine and jams up between the bolt face n receiver.
What am I doing wrong? Is this a magazine issue or a feed ramp issue, or yes?
I've already ground down the feed ramp in an attempt to fix the issue but if I go too far there'll be no material left for the recoil lug!
Do I just need to tweak the cartridge retainers to allow the round to tilt up further, easier?
Any help appreciated..