Just wanted to let you all know that through reading many hours and forums on here, I have finished my first complete Savage 110 build. I took a bunch of spare parts from my 300 win mag, got a $175 donor 30-06 and went to town. What started as a staggered feed 30-06 in a heavy wooden stock is now centerfeed 300 win mag lightweight mountain gun for my brother as a christmas gift. Hope he likes it! I did all the work myself, including milling out the back of the reciever to accept DBM. Stripped and re-blued the entire reciever, and changed bolt heads, firing pin and retainer. Took it to the range on Wednesday with a Bushnell banner 4-16X40 scope mounted on it and it shot groupd at les than 3 inches at 200 yards with my reloads using 168 grain soft points. I know this gun is nothing fancy, but he wants something that he can strap to his back and go through the brush and rocks hunting bear. He really liked my 300 win mag when it was completely stock with the tupperware stock on it and the shorter sporter barrel. So, I build him this one and gave it a custom paint job on the stock as well. He should be all set this year for bear season!!
Oh, as for the old blondie stock that was all dinged up and looked like crap? Well, let me know what you think. First one I've tried...all comments welcome!