Thread: Firing my new 300 win mag

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Firing my new 300 win mag

Yesterday I went out for a second attempt at firing my new 300 win mag (re)build. The first session was aborted after the muzzle-brake decided it wasn't in the mood to party and imploded on itself on the second shot. Yesterday I made a second attempt and couldn't seem to get a grouping better than a few inches, so after just 10 shots I went home feeling a bit peeved. I decided to check everything to see if anything was loose--in reality it was a question of what WASN'T loose: the rail was loose, the scope rings were loose and the receiver screws were a bit loose.

Today's trip to the range was mainly to test new hunting loads for my 308 but I had my 300 win mag along just to collect some brass if I finished testing my reloads in time. The guy in the pit to my left whips out his 7mm mag and starts banging away--while the guy to my right is firing his 50 cal muzzleloader. Both of em give me that big-boomer grin after letting a few rounds go--so I decided if that's the way you roll I can play ball too and reached for my 300 win mag (with brake). : )

All I was doing was shooting to collect brass--but in the process I had a profound revelation: shooting a one-hole group really isn't all that hard if you just throw enough rounds at the target. : ) Here's 13 rds of Nosler factory 180 trophy hunters:Hopefully once I start hand-loading I'll be able to get better results.
    Last edited by thermaler; 10-17-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]