I tried the search function and nothing came up so here it goes! I inherited a Savage 1903 in pretty good condition. I'd love to shoot it as it's designed. Here's my problem. When there is more than one cartridge in the magazine, it won't load the top cartridge into the chamber. I did a little detective work, took it apart and found that this part

just catches the rim of the 2nd cartridge in the magazine, pushes it into the "block" right below the chamber and won't let the top cartridge feed into the magazine. It doesn't hang down that low when the rifle is assembled but it hangs down just enough to catch the 2nd cartridge. Here's about how low it hangs when rifle is assembled

I'm sure I'm not the only this has happened to so what's the fix? I was thinking if I had a gunsmith taper the end that is catching the 2nd cartridge that the problem would be solved as the metal piece would, in theory, just slide over the 2nd cartridge instead of catching on it. However, I don't know enough about the inner workings on the rifle to know if this would affect how it works overall. Thoughts?