I went to the range yesterday with my brand new Savage 111 in 270 Win. This is the packages that comes with the Nikon 3x9 scope. The goal was to get it zeroed, chrono some factory vs hand loads and find an accurate combination. For starters, Savage says the scope is boresighted before delivery, mine wasn't, rounds were barely on a 16' target at 25yd. No problem, I got the scope zeroed on the short range. Then, things got a little funny.

I started with some Federal 130gn Spitzer point factory ammo that was traveling just under 3000fps to get a rough zero. The 25yd groups were unimpressive so I moved on to my handloads. I finished zeroing the scope to a 25 yd target with 130gn SPBT handloads (~2600-2750fps range) I went to the 100 yd range to make some fine adjustments. I was getting sub 1 moa groups with 55gn of H-4350 behind a Sierra 130gn SPBT and the scope was zeroed. After shooting those handloads I switched back to the Federal factory 130gn SP ammo (which was hotter at 2975fps) and some Nosler 140gn ballistic tip handloads. Both of those landed WAY to the left and in loose groups.

What would affect the lateral consistency is such a way? I expected vertical differences due to the higher velocity factory ammo and the heavier Nosler bullets, but I was surprised by the big (8-10" left of sight center) difference.

I was not necessarily surprised by the crappy groups from the factory ammo (they are much shorter than my handloads which were 3.250 OAL), but I was disappointed by the poor grouping of the 140gn Nosler which were expensive (and good looking) compared to the Sierras.

Here are the targets, all shot with a very light touch from a Lead Sled:

Here's the 25yd target. I already had a rough zero on the scope with the factory loads on different paper. I was adjusting the scope between groups so only group size is relevant. All the groups are 130gn Sierra SPBT, except the Nosler 140g Accubond group.

Here's a 100yd target with the Sierra bullets in front of 52gr and 54gr of Hogdon H4350. I adjusted the scope after the 52 group and went back to this target for the 54 group.

Here's a 100yd target with the Sierra bullets in front of 53gr of Hogdon H4350.

Here's a 100yd target with the Sierra bullets in front of 55gr of Hogdon H4350.

Here's a 100yd target with the Sierra bullets in front of 56gr of Hogdon H4350.

Here's a 100yd target with the Nosler Accubond bullets in front of 54gr of Hogdon H4350.