Thread: New Reloader With Newby Question; Crimps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Reloader With Newby Question; Crimps

Well, I've been blessed by being able to get the funds up for a decent reloading outfit. I got the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master kit on sale at Cabelas. Loaded some .223 for load development, using Hornady Soft Point .224, 55Gr. (REALLY good price and great transaction with Jim @ Northland, listed in our Classifieds section)). The reloading I did was on my buddys set up- he is an experienced reloader.

He's been busy and I'm inpatient. (NEVER pray for patience BTW- the trials come harder and faster)

My question; The bullets aforementioned have a cannelure. The RCBS die set I got (also on sale at Cabela's BTW) made a nice roll crimp. I ALSO have Hornady V-Max bullets boattail w/o cannelure. Can the die be set up to do taper crimps? If so can someone direct me to a tutorial?

I did look through the archives here last night. Maybe I was too tired but I couldn't get anything to come up.

As always, thanks in advance!

PS= I've heard some discussion about taper vs. roll crimp. I can see where pressure may increase with a roll crimp and a roll will probably damage a bullet w/o cannelure, but are there any other variables? Thanks!

Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 09-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!