Fact 1. PTG makes custom bolt bodies in different diameters to more precisely fit the Savage actions.
Fact 2. "People say that these "fitted" bolt bodies reduce "wiggle" and "slop" in the bolt-to-action fit and make things feel more precise. (IT is unclear if they actually contribute to accuracy or not.)

Fact 3. Knurling a round surface increases the diameter, but results in relatively sharp points.

So my question is whether or not it would be possible, impossible, good, bad, or indifferent to do the following:

A. Put a bolt body in a lathe and knurl the areas that are traditionally fluted.

then

B. Turn down the outside diameter of the knurling (in other words, machine off the sharp tips, so you had flat ends on the knurls (Is "knurls" the correct word for the little pointy protrusions? I am not a machinist.) and so the outside diameter would now be custom fit to a particular action.

then

C. Buff the outside to slightly round off the edges of the flats in order to reduce friction.

In this way one might have a bolt with closer tolerances and less friction between bolt and action.

What I don't know (again, I am not a machinist) is whether or not knurling would be able to increase the diameter of the bolt body for this to actually work.

I have not done this, and I don't have an extra bolt body, so I am not planning on doing this any time soon, but I was curious as to what you with much more experience than I think of the idea.

I am floating this thought exercise as a trial balloon...shoot away.