Thread: Need 338 build advice for savage PTA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Need 338 build advice for savage PTA

Hey there,

I am finally in a spot to get serious about getting a 338 barrel for my Model 12 F/TR. I'm looking for advice from those who have been down this road before. My initial thought says just grab a 338 Edge barrel and go that route, but after a search on this subject, I found a thread from back in June where a member used a PT&G short action Lapua sized bolt head for a 300 Norma Mag build.
    That intrigued me because I had read that it was pretty much a general consensus that the standard(non Lapua) savage action is not strong enough for that amount of bolt thrust...
    Any of you guys have any new opinions on the Lapua bolt face cartridges on a Savage PTA?

If I did go the edge route have you guys just bought pre-fits or have you had a blank chambered by your smith for the barrel nut system?

I'm up in Canada and there is a source here for Shilen pre-fits. But there is also a smith very close to me that has developed an "ackley improved" version of the 338 edge with a 40 degree shoulder. It doesn't give much more performance but(according to him) it drastically improved brass life. I would prefer to go that route if I have to stick with the standard magnum bolt face.

I would be planning on a 28 to 30 inch barrel threaded for a TRG break(I already have a spare) with a PT&G bolt head(regardless of size) and a new PT&G fluted bolt body just because I want one.

If it is believed that it is okay to go with the Lapua bolt face, I would opt for said smith's version of a 338 Lapua AI with almost zero body taper and 40 degree shoulder. That cartridge DOES have a decent performance increase as well as incredible brass life. He is on his 43rd reload with Lapua brass.

I hate to write such a novel, so I apologize for that.
    But, if you were in my shoes, would would you do?
    Last edited by blueoval56; 08-20-2013 at 06:15 PM.