I was speaking to a gunsmith today and he had reservations about getting the best possible results from a "pre-fit" barrel. This came up as I was inquiring about "truing and timing" my Stevens action while he was installing the new barrel and a new trigger for me. He said that as part of the truing to the action, the threads in the receiver may need to be recut and that might make for some slop with the "pre-fit" barrel threads. He also stated that when truing he would cut the face of the action that threads to the barrel and this may not be a perfect fit with the barrel, as it was already threaded. It all made sense, but I truly do not know enough to know if his concerns are real or just BS. He seems like a truly honest fellow and his work is incredibly articulate and pristine. His forte is world class and Olympic benchrest rifles.
Maybe I am worrying about more than I should be with his concerns, but I do want the very best accuracy possible too.. I would appreciate any input from more experienced builders. Thanks.