I checked on several package rifles at Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and was surprised to find that there were 3 different scopes being used on them. All were the venerable 3-9x-40. One was a Bushnell. Two were Nikons. One Nikon was an unmarked model and the other Nikon was a BDC Prostaff which was marked as such But is it a real Prostaff? I don't think so. When I adjusted the magnification ring on the supposed Prostaff I found it very hard to turn. The black reticle bars lacked good fill like the bars on my genuine Prostaff that I paid $149 for in 05. I had difficulty getting a good sight picture when I aimed the scope at the ceiling.

Ten yrs ago I bought a 110 GXP3 with a pillared walnut stock in 30-06 with a Simmons package scope on it that I removed and stuck on a 10/22. It is a pretty good scope except the reticle bars are a bit too large. It does though give a nice, easy to focus sight picture and is fine for squirrel hunting.

But my question to Savage and Nikon is why put a counterfeit Prostaff on package rifles?