It is very tempting to run the trigger pull down to under a pound with the Accutrigger (Target Red). On the bench I had a nice crisp 10 oz trigger pull with no issues with trigger break. I figured I'd be good to go for my first F-Class competition with a nice light trigger. Well the first 20 round string went flawlessly and was getting pretty good scores. The second string started off with 3-Xs, 3-10s and 2-9s, then nothing. The trigger wouldn't budge. After checking the usual suspects, bolt, ammo, proper trigger pull, safety all were good. Another Savage shooter saw my dilemma and offered up that the trigger spring slipped. So I got my trusty tool kit from my range bag and pulled the action from the stock on the firing line. One quick glance, and it was obvious that he was right. A couple of twists on the spring reseated the coils and I was back in business. I had no idea what I put the trigger pull to, but it was definitely more than what I had, reassembled my rifle, and picked up on the third string. Didn't do as well on the third string, but there was a lot going on, in a real short period of time. But I didn't quit and finished the match.

After getting back home, I pulled my rifle apart and checked the trigger spring again. I found that the spring could be turned pretty easily, and I figured recoil could cause this problem to occur again, so I put the tension at 1.5 lbs and added a couple of drops of Loctite on the spring and let it set. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but so far so good and the trigger pull has stayed at 1.5 lbs.

Moral of the story is, resist the urge to lighten the trigger too much with the Accutrigger, it may not hold as long as you hope.