Just a quick update on the Shilen barrel, we (Mr Wade Hull- Pres. Shilen bbl) and I decided to just shoot the barrel with the existing throating. My last Shilen 260AI shot the Lapua 139's lights out, but wouldn't shoot Berger 140's no matter what I did- powder changes, seating depth changes. So I used the Lapua's all last season w/ very good results.
It has been in the low 60's and sunny here in NC so I have been breaking in and doing some load dev. w/ the barrel the last 2 days and I got several groups- best w/ a 10 thou. Jam w/ the Berger 140's (Target- thick jacket) that I have been wanting to shoot due to their very high BC and quailty, that was unbelievable. 4 touching and 1 opening it up a bit at 110yds. I need a bit more velocity as I purposly decreased the powder charges from my other bbl and the Rem. brass I was using during break in and load development. I am now using Lapua 308 brass necked down to .264 and fire formed to the AI chamber w/ turned necks to 14 thou thickness w/ a K&N turner.
It looks like I really have a shooter here! Now for some more velocity. I was shooting at 2783 Ave FPS w/ 16 ES and 8 SD (best es and sd of the day). H4831SC, Fed 210M primers, Berger 140VLD w/ a 10 thou jam. When I get 2940+ fps I will be a very happy camper (or F class shooter). My last barrel got 2930ish FPS w/ the Lapua 139's and was 2" shorter.