I'm wondering. I've been working loads for my new 260 rem and my 7-08 savage I put together. I've got about 90 total through the 260 and have settled on a charge and coal to try. Got about 50 through the 7-08. I'm not to worried cause I have components and I'm doing a break in on each at the same time. But...
How do you start your load work up? I hear people say they tried 2 charges and its a ragged holer! Ya ok lol.
How do you figure charge to start?
How do you pick OAL to start?
Do you start at book OAL and move out or at lands and move in?

I start by taking a case and using my trimmer cause guage and willow out the mouth a little, use a good amount of case lube on the mouth. Drop a bullet into the chamber, drop the case in on too of the bullet and close the bolt. Usually will push the billet a few thousands into lands but give me a good start. I usually start about 1-1/2 grain under max and load 3/5 each half grain apart. Take the most accurate and start with length from lands down. Always try a few at book OAL too.
Just seems like its alot of components if there's a simpler way to go. I don't know, I'm bored at work.
This is where I'm at with the 7-08 and 130 Sierra matchking. It's 43.5gr varget, not sure on length since I was just looking at comparator .473". Gonna hopefully try to get out Thursday again. The top left is 4 shots and I adjusted 2/2 for center after. Hope it'll print the same.

It's a 26" ershaw from gunshack.com SS varmint. Still want to try my 162 or 160bthp in it too