Thread: .300sav - hornady brass

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amistoso

.300sav - hornady brass

Hi, just incase anyone here reloads .300sav and isn't aware, make sure you're looking at near the base of the case and checking for degradation. I have noticed that Hornady brass cases tend to suffer more degradation than other manufacturers brass... At least when reloading spent Hornady brass. It suffers from the overpressures and deformation is evident about 1/3" from the base of the case in the form of a raised like ring... basically the part that does not seem to fully enter into the bbl(I'm guessing). What happened to me at least was that the case exploded and separated cleanly and evenly at the part where degradation is evident. If you're reloading Hornady spent brass, look for the signs I've mentioned. I realize I'm lucky that my Model 99 didn't explode.
    Im writing this using my phone and at the moment not sure how to add a pic. But I can email anyone interested in seeing pics of what I'm talking about.
    My email is: Eric.lopez@rocketmail.com
    Rifle: Model 99 in .300sav
    About my load: bullet-Hornady Interlock SP 150gr, Powder-IME 4198@29.0grs, Primer-Federal LR 210
    Last edited by Amistoso; 07-09-2013 at 01:43 AM.