Thread: Hi All, And New (to me) 110

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi All, And New (to me) 110

In about three short weeks I'll be 57 years young, and just to prove to myself that it's never too late to start (or re-start) something new, I have purchased a used .223 Mod. 110, with the "Tupperware" stock and the varmint contour barrel. I've been a handgun guy since my teens; have done alright with rifles over the years, but never really "got into" them in a big way. Shot handgun comp. (and won) during my law enforcement days.

Then I meet a guy and we become fast friends. (His wife and mine even get along well..go figure!) He's big time into LR shooting and has excellent equipment. So earlier this year I bought a non-Savage .17 HMR, and starting having a ball. THEN, I bought a Ruger American in .270. Not to bash, but I had problems from the "get-go" with that one. Traded it in on a Savage MKII in .22LR, nice walnut thumbhole stock, beautiful bluing etc. I was SO impressed with the fit, finish and accuracy, I started doing a search for a centerfire Savage. So here I am today.

I like to target shoot and hunt them wascally var-mints. Not a big game hunter, but there is something about thinking of long shots on varmints that keeps me awake at night.

My new Savage has the 3 screw trigger that the previous owner tweaked to be perfect for me. Don't have a gauge but it breaks crisp like glass, I'm guessing around 2-2.5 lbs. I've been studying and studying and when money allows, I'm gonna get an aftermarket stock, tactical bolt handle and probably some other goodies. First things first though:

I literally read through posts in the 110 section starting at page one..now on page 78. Along the was I saw a post about stiffening up the Tupperware OEM stock, but cant find it again. Maybe I'm using the wrong words in the search? Any help would be 'preciated!

I'm saving for good glass, but in the meantime I was at a local Dick's yesterday just to talk to my new "friend" in the lodge. There was a 4-12x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC with a sticker of $199.00 on it. Turns out my friend Jason did not have any in stock- only the display. AND smack grandmaw on the butt, slam the door and call me late for supper, that darn thing was clearance priced at $129.00!! Perfect condition. As I said to my lovely wife "What could I do..? What could I do?!" Before I knew it the thing was in a bag, I was headed out the door and Jason solidified our budding friendship. Not the glass I want BUT at least I don't have to switch out with the .17 HMR or the .22LR. I have the Nikon Prostaff 150 BDC on my Savage MkII and I LIKE it, but I want to get a Vortex Viper for the .223 after I save money (=F-o-r-e-v-e-r).

Anyway- I'm excited to get started and wanted to share my joy. Sorry so long and probably boring for all you Savage veterans out there. And yes, I'll post some pics. I have to blow the dust offa my Photobucket account.

Thanks and ANY suggestions, comments, criticisms (be nice now..fragile male ego here) are welcome.

Brian (Soon to be Whistle-Pig Sniper)
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 07-02-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Crazy Flipper Fingers Wont Spel Corectly..
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!