Thread: Indexing switch barrel

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    180pilot

Indexing switch barrel

Have a need for a heavy SS take down rifle. So bought a new Alaskan Bush Hunter in .375 RCM. Have experience removing and head spacing Sav. barrels. Have another 116 in .338 Rum/ 7mm Rum. I would like to be able to assemble and take down rapidly, with just the barrel nut wrench. Since this has iron sights that have to come to same place each time, I'm trying to figure out a quick mechanical way to index the barrel and receiver. Since the nut covers the barrel where in meets the recoil lug, there is no place for an index mark between receiver and barrel. One smith over phone suggested using a pin between barrel and receiver, but I can't picture what he was thinking, as any pin would have to be below the threads.. or drilled through the front receiver ring into a hole drilled in barrel?
    My current idea is about the front scope mount screw hole, as it goes all the way through and I can see the barrel threads. What if I drilled a small indent into the barrel threads through that hole when barrel is properly headspaced. Then used a slightly longer pointed front screw in the scope mount to go into that indent? I would back that screw out when installing barrel and screw barrel in until I see the indent, put screw back in tight to hold barrel in place and crank down the barrel nut. How deep do you think I could drill the indent without compromising chamber strength? This would not modify the receiver in anyway and allow other barrels to be head spaced in normal manner or "indexed" also. I guess the trick would be that the screw would put enough pressure on barrel and still be tight enough for scope mount. I could carry the long screw separately and only use for the indexing then take it out and put short one in? But could get lost, I suppose......so indent in barrel will have to be just deep enough so sides of screw will hold it but not bottom before mount is tight. Or if hole in barrel could be deep enough for 3 threads, just crank it in.

Anyone done this or seen one done?
    Last edited by 180pilot; 06-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.