Hello

I have some questions about a .308 SA 10/110 that I bought last summer.

After considerable research, I decided on the above gun for accuracy, quality, and price. Everyone described it as a tack driver. I have not done much rifle shooting since the 70s. I actually bought a combo--it included a Nikon Prostaff 3x9. I finally decided that the included scope mounts did not hold well so I bought a Game Reaper and a good torgue wrench. Some time after that my GF decided that she wanted a rifle so she ordered a Lady Hunter in a .308. I decided to give her the Nikon Prostaff and I went out and bought a Leupold VX3 in a 4x14. Also, I bought an Apex in a .308 for my son this last Christmas and he mounted a 3x9 Vortex on it.

I originally had the idea of beginning the site-in process using Sierra Match in a 168 grain. I don't know if this was a good idea or not but I knew that it was an accurate round and at least I could get the windage right before picking a hunting round. I got my rifle sited in pretty well but not perfect. (This is all occurring over months due to time constraints.)

I then helped my son get his sited in pretty close in one short afternoon of shooting it. I had no problem getting 1 inch groups. And, I got my GFs sited in and on good days have no problem getting 5/8" groups (100 yards). I was previously getting 5/8" groups with my 10/110 but still felt like it needed some windage dialing in before moving to a hunting round. The problem is that in SF Bay area ammo is depleted. I can't get any more match ammo.

I tried shooting 150 Fusion out of mine and I am lucky to get 4" groups. I spoke with a gentleman and he said that the 1/10 twist barrels on the 10/110 savages like a heavier round and he had problems with 150s on his .308 10/110 also. I have also read that some barrels simply prefer certian rounds. He recommended going up to a 165, 175, or better yet a 180.

The problem is that I used all of my Sierra match 168 on my GF and sons rifle. So I decided to try some hunting rounds. I have to say that after today’s time at the range that I am discouraged and confused. I was only able to find one box of Federal Vital-Shock 180 Nosier Partition, and once box of 180 Fusion.

First, both rounds shot 4 to 6 inches right of center and had huge groups. This was alarming to me because I decided on the Leupold VX3 primarily because of its reputation to hold zero. I had it hitting tight groups with the Sierra Match previously and possible 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the right and dead on at 2.1 inches above zero at 100 yards to accomplish a 200 yard zero. So now all of a sudden I am shooting way right and way high with both 180 rounds. What bothers me is that scope has not been bumped at all. And, I am an inspector and technician in a very technical mechanical field and when I torqued that mount I did it perfectly. I write and follow mechanical instructions for a living.

Reluctantly, I dailed my windage and elevation to compensate. What followed was very odd. The 180 Vital shock hit high and to the left. The Fusion hit low and to the right. This after about 10 rounds for each. I also cleaned the barrel after 10 rounds or so. For both of the rounds I was looking at 4 to 5 inch groups. I am just getting back into shooting but I know when I am seeing the shot and when I am not. I know I was on the mark. I was not rushed at all.

I am lost. I suppose that I could have a defective scope. It would be the most likely culprit due to the windage adjustments that I had to make. I totally trust the mounts and how I mounted them. If I assume that I do not have a defective scope then that leaves me with: Bad ammo, or my rifle only likes a very narrow grain range around 168 grains, or--I wonder--is it possible that I have a bad barrel?

I feel if I could get my hands on some 168 Sierra that I could sort out the scope issue. I had great results initially with that round.

If I could even get a hold of some hunting rounds in 165 or 175 I may be able to learn something.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Do these rifles have a reputation for having a narrow grain range for accuracy? Am I expecting too much from the weapon to think I can shoot a 180 and say a 165 out of it?

Does anyone agree that these barrels do not handle 150 rounds very well?

Is it possible to have a bad barrel? I don't know anything about that and thus my question.

I obviously have to sort this out before going hunting, and that will be delayed now. I am honestly so frustrated that I am ready to get rid of it and spend more money and get something else in another brand.

Did I go too cheap on this rifle and did I expect too much out of it?

I am open and hope to hear any and all thoughts.

Thank you