I purchased a used Savage bolt rifle a few months ago because it seemed to be a good price and I have always heard that Savages are tack drivers. The barrel indicates that it is a Model 110 chambered in 7 MM Rem Mag. The serial number on the receiver is F480197. It was a couple of weeks before I could get to the range to try it out. I was surprised to find that I could not chamber a round. Inspection of the bold showed that the bolt head was the standard head rather than the magnum. No problem, I got a magnum bold head and installed it myself. I went to the range with some factory federal ammo and the rifle shot really well, 1/2" groups at 150 yds. At this point, all my shooting was done single shot. When I started hunting with this rifle, I observed that when I loaded multiple rounds into the magazine (blind box with a leaf spring) that the bolt would not always engage the rear of the round to feed it into the chamber. The rounds would sometimes slide backward in the magazine and the bolt does not travel far enough backward to engage the round. Is it acceptable to machine down the rear of the lug that slides along the rail to provide more bolt travel to the rear?

Thanks in advance because I know you guys are great help.