Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
First off you have to remember that that book was written in 1989, even though the book is dated it is one of the best books out there. Back in 1989 there was no Sharp Shooters Supply,(Fred was working on Remington's back then) there was no good triggers, and all the thing we have for Savages today. Even today BR shooters look down on Savages, one they don't know what is available for them, and two they have never tried to build one. The fact is no one has ever one a registered match with a Savage.

My advise is going to sound anti-savage; In short range benchrest a Savage is a great gun to build up, and will hang with the custom action if done right, but when it come to cost you are better off building a custom action gun.

PA is what I would call the birth place of benchrest, I shoot with some of the old timers that use to shoot 1000 yard match's in PA back in the mid 1960's and it is amazing looking at their equipment from back then. Boy things have changed. There are some dang good shooters from over that way. Your FTR would be an OK choice for a long range match, I would not try it in short range.
Why not ask to have a class for Savages ONLY...Shoot what you got. The club should be glad to see you. If not try another club..