I have had a 10-FCP-K since Thanksgiving 2012. I'm primarily a SIG/CZ pistol shooter, but I have tried to learn to shoot the Savage at 500+ yards when I can. This model comes with a muzzle brake that works well, but isn't allowed in an F-class match. We have a local club match at 520 yards once/month and I will enter one this month or next.

We've also had the ammo availability problems, so I get zeroed and comfortable with one brand and bullet weight and then run out.

Last week I received a 200 round order of Federal Gold Medal Match with 168 gr Sierra Match King bullets. I took the muzzle brake off the gun and zeroed it at 100 yards, drove to the 500 m range, guessed at the muzzle velocity, dialed in 3.9 mils, shot high (off paper), dialed in 3.2 mils elevation, 0.3 mil right, shot 3 rounds 5" low and 2" right, dialed in 3.4 mils elevation and 0.1 mils right, and shot a 4 round group .1 mil left.

I also checked the calculater versus hits at 300 yards this morning. It was close but also a little high. If I increased the muzzle velocity entry to 2730 fps for this round (Fed GMMK 168), the calculator predicts what it took for the dial in to hit center at both 300 and 545 yards.

I am a green bolt gun shooter. I never thought I would be able to shoot two sub 4" groups at this distance, especially with a relatively inexpensive box stock rifle and factory box ammo. This combination is phenomenal. This Savage rifle is simply fantastic.

It took me a while to learn to dial in the parallax correction properly on my 3.5-21x50 Bushnell HDMR scope. In previous sessions, I had trouble shooting less than 12" groups at this distance. My problem was the parallax adjustment. No problem after I took the time to learn how to dial in the parallax from infinity to shooting distance and never reversing directions. This is not necessarily a scope problem, this shooter has had cataract surgery in both eyes, and a detached retina repair in one eye.

Joe,
Happy Savage owner