I just got my Shilen 1:8 varmint barrel in 243AI and today got the head space gauge from Mansonreamers.com... They seem to be the only company that not only makes Ackley head space gauges, but actually has them in stock. Now have to get the scope rail off, then the old barrel off... Hope to get it installed tomorrow.

I have a Savage 12 LPV with the varmint fluted 26" 1:9.25 barrel. I was maxed out at the 95gr SST, the 95 gr Bergers didn't group well. I decided on the 1:8 barrel and an Ackley chamber to allow for a bit more powder capacity for those heavy bullets. Northland Shooters Supply had the barrel, nut and thick recoil lug in stock, as well as an action and barrel nut wrench. So from here on out I can do all my own Savage barrel swaps. It can be tough getting NSS on the phone, its just a 2 person operation. You can basically forget about email.... But once I did get Jim on the phone, he had my package delivered to my door by the following evening.

I have a bunch of 95gr Berger VLD's for general work, and then I will start working on some 105 Match Hybrids. I am using the 95gr 243 as my general purpose coyote load (great for windy conditions and so superior to the 55gr Vmax bullets I started with in my 223....) and I figure the 105 grain hybrids should be good for wolves too.