OK, new to this forum, and this Stevens 200 (.223 Rem) is the first of these newfangled bolt action Savages I've ever owned, (I'll admit to a 99 or two). Also new to the .223 cartridge, having spent a good few years using the old 2R Lovell in various single-shots.

Bought this second-hand, largely because it had the barrel shortened to about 16 1/2 inches, by a "world class gunsmith". The idea being to have a lighter, handier rifle, since I ain't getting any younger, and to switch to a cartridge for which brass is a little more plentiful.

Now, I haven't fired a factory cartridge since Reagan was in office, so I of course set out to find the optimum OAL for the various bullets I planned for this rifle. And I am slightly stunned. Take the ubiquitous 62 grain M855 milsurp bullet f'r'instance. Load that so that it fits the magazine, and I've got a monumental .170" of bullet travel before contact with the lands. Has Savage taken a page from Roy Weatherby's book and free-bored their factory barrels? Or has this so-called "world class gunsmith" done a little "world classing" to the throat in this one?

At least I have the consolation that a barrel change won't be too much trouble. . . . .