I posted here a while back about a cracked barrel nut on my early model 110 30-06, needing to replace it and re-headspace the rifle http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ked-Barrel-Nut

One of the gracious members here walked me through the headspacing process using two references: 1) cases previously fired in the same gun, and 2) using the factory iron sights as a reference to line up on.

I hadn't gotten around to shooting the gun yet, as I had also discovered a scope mounting problem and was waiting for some replacement parts from Burris.

In the meantime, I happened to wind up with a set of go/no-go gages and before trying out my rifle I decided to check it. The way I had previously put the rifle together, I was not able to close the bolt on the go gage.

It is very possible this is how the gun was previously headspaced - one of the oddball things I had previously noticed was the fact that I was having to size my brass a bit smaller than my Dillon case gage in order to close the bolt easily on this gun. In other words, I had noticed it seemed to be a tighter-than-spec chamber.

If I set the headspace according to the go gage, the factory iron sights do not line up - they're about 45 degrees offset (ie, the barrel is "unscrewed" about 45 degrees looser).

So the question is, what do I do now?
1) set the barrel the way it was - with the sights lined up and the chamber a bit too tight. This way the brass I've already sized would presumably fit. It wouldn't be a spec 30-06, but it should work with my ammo, right?
2) set the barrel correctly according to the go/nogo gages, and live with crooked sights (would this do something odd to the barrel harmonics?)
3) something else?