Thread: First bedding job is complete!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

First bedding job is complete!!

Thanks to all that gave me input on my first bedding job. This is a rifle I am building for my 10 yr old as first his centerfire. Will be a 223 with a factory sporter barrel shortened to 19". Action is a Savage LA that Fred did a T&T on. I actually used this with my first 30BR for a couple of years. I found this old maple youth stock for it from a forum member. It is an NRA stock. My son has been working hand in hand through it all. Setting the pillars was actually the hard part for me. Actually drilling out the hole for the pillars and being sure of the alignment. No big voids in the bedding. Actually looks pretty darn smooth.

My gunsmith that usually does my stock work would mount the stock in a vise and tighten the action screws. He would put a dial indicator on the end of the barrel and slow back out the rear action screw then the front and look for movement on the end of the barrel. This one didn't move more than a few thousands with the screws loosened.

Pleased over all. We will swap boltheads, headspace the barrel, and let him try a few reloads this weekend if the weather holds. I have a 3-9x 4200 Elite still in the box for him.

For those considering it, it wasn't too bad. It would have been a breeze if the stock already had pillars installed.

Thanks again, Tim

Last edited by tiny68; 01-16-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo