Howdy all -

I'm the new guy to the forum, and have been reading posts for the last few months... Learned a lot.

I have been shooting a .308 10FP for the last couple of years and that rascal has filled the freezer a few times. I shoot a lot of Contenders and Encores, and have been reloading for some 40+ years. Shoot competitive skeet with the bride, and just in general have fun.

So.. Here is the issue

I picked up a 30-06 111 Combo with the Nikon BDC on it the other day. Scrapped the junk rings and did a little clean up on it.

This evening, I was getting "Max OAL lengths" with the Stoney point gauge (now Hornady) and compared the averages to some loads I had for the old O3A3. The Nolser 150 Accubonds and Sierra Game Kings were fine. Where I discovered the issue was with the 150 Hornady's... Hornady lists a tested seating Depth of 3.210... I checked what I had, and they were right on the money. Slipping a round in the chamber, I could not close the bolt! I grabbed a marker and covered the neck and bullet. Slipping it back in, I eased the bolt forward and tried to close. No luck... Slipping the case out, you can see on the bullet, right where it makes a taper, the marker had been removed.

I adjusted the seating depth down to 3.20 and could close the bolt, but was way harder than what I think normal should be. Once again, I adjusted the depth to 3.195 and it closed a little easier.

Something seems a bit out of whack with this... A friend of mine shoots 180's (dont ask... ) so I going to grab a couple of his factory loads, check the OAL's and see if they chamber.

I'm suspecting a "Short Throat"...

Has anyone here on the forum ran up against "Factory" short throats? I may give Savage a call Monday and see what they say..

Oh... I did discover another issue.. When I loaded a few rounds through the top into the DBM, it actually moved it down enough that the bolt would not pick up a round... Had to push the back of the magazine ( by the trigger guard) up to where it was seated again... Anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Bill