I'm Nate. Savage 10FCP .308. Federal American Eagle 150gr FMJ-BT. Stock bases, Burris Zee rings and a simmons 3-9x40 I'm borrowing off a .22 until I pick some glass. The gun was a mess today.

I can shoot sub 1/2" all day at 50yd with my little baby 16" mkII. The recoil undoubtedly is causing some errors in my shooting, but I was at least comfortable enough that I was able to accurately call my fliers. I couldn't get it sighted in. I would shoot 3, adjust, shoot 3. The adjustments were mathematically correct. Didn't make a difference. I stopped adjusting after about a dozen rounds. Here's what it's doing: It'll shoot 3 into a hole at 50yds. Just a single round hole. It'll shoot the next two or three into a different hole a few inches away. It'll shoot the following 2 or 3 into yet another hole. It just kept changing. The individual groups were what I was expecting from the rifle. Fliers acted just like they normally do, but the POI just kept changing all over the place. Bases are tight. Rings are snugged somewhat properly but are not lapped. Scope does fine on a .22.

Is my garbage scope just not handling the recoil, or does this sound like a base/ring issue? Or does it sound like a shooter issue? Generally I expect there to be bugs to work out, and can avoid disappointment. I think I had too high of expectations for this guy the first time out.