Alright guys, I would like your input on caliber selection for a new barrel choice. Currently have a Savage 10 FCP -HS in 308 that for the most part has been a SUB MOA gun, I am happy with the performance and accuracy, and the caliber is a hammer on deer and steel plates.

I would however like to get a new barrel more dedicated to varmints. I have owned a 223 and have shot a 204 and while fun and plenty hard on stuff, I am really not impressed with either past about 300 yds, we have a 400 yd dinger set up and the 204 with 39 blitzkings at 3700 ish fps hardly makes it move. Not to mention they blow around plenty at that distance. The 308 is much better, but I really dont think I need to lob 155, 168 and 175 grn rounds at crows and PD's.

So I have been looking at getting a replacement barrel for the rifle in something along the lines of a 22-250 or a 243 class caliber. I am also open to AI versions of either, or possibly another caliber I am unfamiliar with. With a 243 AI, would I be able to push a 70 grn pill close to 4000 fps? How many rounds would I have before I loose a ton of accuracy? minimum bullet I would like to shoot is a 55 grn round, max maybe 80 or 90 grns.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.