I've shot a 22-250 plenty of times and one thing I notice is that even with a 24" barrel it has a pretty good blast...much harder on the ears than a .223 Right now I'm thinking of using a 22-250 Ackley Improved, I don't have the measurements but it looks like it holds a fair bit more powder than the standard 22-250...so how much more blast can I except coming out of the barrel and shattering my ear drums?

I'm also curious, as I can't find any data on the round as to what kind of velocity increase I will get, particularly with heavier bullets. Ideally I'd like to be able to fire 55-65gr rounds as fast as I can now fire 45gr-50gr rounds. Is that typical or is that really pushing it?

I'm also wonder about burning out the barrel, I've been told the increased powder will be a baaadddd thing, but then I also hear that using a heavier bullet at the same velocity will be no worse, and some people have even suggested that the case design, with its steeper shoulder angle, will hold the powder in the brass better and perhaps give me a slightly improved barrel life.

Anyone with real info would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, I see browning claiming amazingly improved barrel life in their 223wssm due to their chrome lined barrels. (They are pretty much claiming DOUBLE the useful barrel life of a standard 22-250 even with the Hot 223wssm.) I would be seriously interested in trying out a chrome lined barrel for my savage, in any of the previously mentioned calibers, if anyone knows where to get such a thing. I can't find any barrel maker that chrome lines their barrels. (I'm told its an accuracy thing..but I could live with a little less in my varmint rig for 1.5-2X the barrel life