I always wanted a .308 bolt rifle for hunting but kept on putting it on the back burner. So I guess I started the whole research the rifle options to death and I pretty much narrowed my choices to 4; Savage Axis, Stevens 200, Ruger American, Marlin XL7. I am leaning towards the Savage as its the cheapest of the 4 and all I have been reading have been mostly positive with the few negatives I read about easy to mod like the trigger and stock. I can buy one for around $50-$90 less than the Ruger and Marlin. I really like the Ruger American as it borrowed alot of good features from other rifles(Ruger borrowing designs from other companies, what a shocker right) but its like $90 over the Axis and I feel that money can be used towards the scope( I decided on a Nikon 3-9x40mm Prostaff BTW). To tell you the truth I am alittle wishy-washy on the Marlin, its on my list as its been recommended by many but that's about it. If the Stevens had a detachable mag I would be all over it. So my choices seem to be the Axis and the American with the Axis edging(no pun intended) out the Ruger due to price. I just need a no frills, no holds bar hunting rifle that I will use maybe once every year or so and I think the Axis fits the bill.