Ok, I've seated the bullets out to far. Question is it shouldn't have happened.
I loaded up some Nosler 80 grn BT's. With my Hornady L-N-L gauge, I get a shaky measurement of around 2.790 to 2.800" COAL, touching the lands. I say shaky because the bullet is so far out its slightly wobbly. I did some math, taking the bullet OAL minus the boat tail length (difficult to get an accurate measurement on this) and seated at a .243 depth. This came out to a COAL of 2.760". I load up twenty of these, with different powders, go to the range, and none of them chamber!!!! What's the deal?
I get back to the house, load up a dummy round, at 2.760", couldn't chamber it, so pushed and got it to chamber. Pulled it out, measured it, and yes, it now measured 2.710" COAL. I loaded up another dummy round with exactly the same results! It would seem, at 2.760", I'm jamming into the lands and the bullet is being pushed into the case. Loaded a third dummy round at 2.700" and it appears to chamber normally.
So, before I go seat all the loaded ones to under 2.710", I thought I'd ask two questions:

1. How can these measurements, with the L-N-L gauge be wrong? I understand I'm not getting the most accurate measurement, but, 2.790" is a long way off from 2.710".

2. Anyone shooting these Nos 80 grn BT's, in a Savage .243; what kind of COAL's are you seating to?

Thanks