I just did some testing using some Wolf steel cased. I shot it out of my 24” AR with a 308 bore. The reloads are all 308 sized bullets.

After initially firing I annealed the case mouths by placing the casing in a socket then heating the case mouth until it began to glow red. I let it cool slowly then FL resized with a set of RCBS dies using the .308 mandrel. At the same time I knocked the center of the berdan priming system out.

After the initial firings and after annealing the case length was 1.51"-1.52" and throughout the lengths remained the same or at least within .01”.

The firing/ annealing schedule was to anneal, fire 4, anneal, fire 4, giving a total of 8 loaded firings.

I normally load heavy bullets in my 7.62x39 so the powder I use is Varget, it is the only appropriate powder I have on hand.

I started by loading a 86gr FMJ over 20 grains of Varget. After all the firings there was no discernable stretching of the case. This load did no unlock the bolt and the case was easy to extract.

Next was the 86 grain FMJ over 22 grains of Varget and again no stretching of the case of apparent problems with the case structure. This load acted exactly the same as the above with only a little more noise.

Next load was 155 grain SMK over 22 grains of Varget and it mimicked the other cases with no stretching or obvious problems. This load ejected the cases but would not lock the bolt back.

The final load was 180 SP loaded over 22 grains of Varget, this load was able to lock the bolt back on an AR and eject the cases without issue. The primers are showing signs but nothing to worry about.

With all the loads resizing became easier after about the 4th or 5th firing. And the rounds chambered fine with the exception of unburned powder left in the chamber from the reduced loads causing the cases to hang from time to time. A quick clean with a bore brush and it was fixed. When firing full power loads this wasn't an issue.

The problem is with the primer pockets. They are both too shallow and too loose to be used in an auto. I was able to seat the primers but they amount sticking out of the case caused slam fires if I tried to feed from a magazine or by just dropping the bolt on the chambered round, definitely not anything I would even consider safe. If I rode the bolt forward then used the forward assist to lock it up there wasn’t any problems with unexpected firing. With the loose primer pocket I had about 5-6 primers come out during firing. There were no signs of gas escaping out of the loose primer pockets, I suspect the sealed then contracted again after the pressure drops.

Each case had a total of 9 firings and I did not see any signs of problems with the case structure and in a pinch I might actually use steel case for a bolt gun but I would never consider it in an auto for obvious reasons.

If I get time and get to feeling a little better I may do the same test except not anneal the cases to see at what point a problem arises. Right now I am pretty much spent for the next day or two because of the added activity.

If you have any questions please ask
Dolomite