Just thinking out of the box here... ::)

This is strictly hypothetical: Haven't done it, and don't have the desire to try it.

I'd like to float this test balloon for academic discussion only: the idea would be to drill and tap a hole in a savage action such that a brass-tipped setscrew could be used to to lock in the barrel after screwing it in to the correct headspace. The setscrew would be tightened against the barrel threads inside the receiver to keep the barrel from moving or turning.

Possible Pros: Eliminate the need for barrel nut or shoulder. Lighter weight for those for whom this is important. No barrel nut wrench needed.

Possible cons:
Not sure the barrel would be "locked in" as well as with the barrel nut or shoulder which both apply an even axial tension to the thread faces to keep the barrel from wiggling due to the inherent "slop" or runout in the mating threads. Might need a couple of setscrews?
Not sure there is an appropriate place or places on the receiver to drill the hole or holes without weakening.

Also, this type of attachment puts a slightly different stress on the receiver. Eliminating the compressive force of the barrel nut/shoulder against the face of the receiver, (I think ) would possibly increase the bending force on the receiver in the area of the threads. (Don't know if this would be a adverse factor or strictly an academic note.)

Anyway...once again, I got to thinking and thought I'd mention this as a discussion topic.

Just wondered if anyone else had thought of this and if so, what are your ideas.

By the way, I realize that I am not smart enough to have been the first guy to think of this...and it has never been done, to my knowledge, which makes me think that the cons must outweigh the pros.
Cheers