There is a Gentleman on another forum named "Clark". He is a mechanical engineer by vocation. His postings and videos qualify him as the "go-to-guy" for preeminent professional Gunsmiths when they encounter a really sticky problem with mechanics. Clark uses measuring instruments that have the old timey round gauge/scales for the readout. Great for filming and demonstrating what he is talking about. As you might be able to tell, I found this man to be a very impressive fellow. In one of his vids he connected a 1/4 inch torque wrench to the bolt nut and measured the force needed to cock a rifle. WOW! FLASH! No more "seems to be better" or "broke in" or how many other subjective observations. Max inch pounds to cock his rifle was ????? Whatever it was. I bought that $270 dial readout torque wrench by SnapOn for not nearly any where near the new price and have set to measuring my bolt performance. Regretfully I didn't have the wrench when I sent the receiver off to SSS for a T&T job. But I can spit out numbers now. Problem is that the cocking ramp, that primary VILLEIN in the entire bolt operation, isn't the only part of a bolt cycle that I find offensively difficult/rough. I want to document the forces across the cocking and battery cycles that include all the little "flaws" in the design/finish of my gun.

Does anyone have the type of inch pound torque wrench I mentioned and a "stock" action that they can measure both lubricated and dry(as most are). I will be documenting the various "nodes of resistance" in both strokes. Following that I will address the cause of the resistance on my SS Target action and be able to quantify the results for my action. I think this will have a close relationship to other SS Target actions only. Might be very useful to others with any Savage 110 action, however. We could also use this data to measure the effectiveness of lubricants for the Savage.

So, is there another tinkerer with a SS Target action and access to a torque wrench that has the time? I can't imagine that the data collected will not be of interest to the Forum.

PM me or use jegrabe@gmail.com

Thank you,

John