So I know this is a topic that's been beaten to death with opinions that vary greatly.

One of the reasons I've heard is that a break in procedure can help remove some of the extra debris created after the first handful of shots on a freshly cut barrel.

I recently recived my ER Shaw group buy barrel. When I looked down the tube I could see some debris in there. Since these are not custom match barrels I did not expect a super clean finish. In fact my AR15 barrel which is also a Shaw barrel also had some debris in it and it shoots very well.

Since the Shaw barrels are going to be rougher, similar to a factory OEM tube, would these rougher bores benefit more from a break in procedure then a match barrel?

On my AR, I ran a couple patches through to clean it and then just shot it without a procedure. I am thinking about doing a light break procedure on this barrel... something along the lines or running a wet patch through every 5 shots for the first 20 or something like that.

Below are a couple pics. This first one shows 6 patches I ran through for the initial cleaning:

Here is a close up of the first patch. Defiantly some stainless steel shavings in there. I'm assuming the black stuff is a grease or some kind of lubricant.

[img width=809 height=768]http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/Jimbo88mm/firstPatchClose.jpg[/img]

Planning to shoot it for the first time next week. Can't wait!