Anyone's help would be much appreciated.

I bought my first Savage used. It is a very nice looking 110 in .270 caliber. The rifles appears to have very little use on it.
When I installed the first set of rings and bases (weaver 2 piece bases/Grand Slam clamp rings) I noticed on sighting in that
the gun was hitting WAY right. I had to shoot at 18 yards to be on a 3' wide piece of sheet rock. I was able to get the gun sighted
but the whole thing bothered me.

So, I went to work, made a scope ring alignment tool like you see in the catalogs and checked the ring alignment to the barrel.
(Note: I have a machine shop at work. The tool was made from 1" drill rod. it is true within less than .001" in diameter and straightness.)
Sure enough the barrel and rings are not aligned in the same axis.

So, I changed to 2 piece Millet style bases and rings. I got the type with the twist in front and windage adjustable rear. To get the rings
aligned with barrel I had to move the rear ring to the right a fair piece off center. But, I was able to get it aligned.

So, my question is what gives?
The little I shot the gun it appears to group very good (.375" inch at 50 yards, 2 shots only).

Should this concern me?
Solutions?
Will Savage fix under warranty? The gun appears to have very little use.

Thanks for the help!

Jonrobinson