Hi all,

The Barrel

The barrel vise, barrel wrench, Barrel Lug, and 6.5x55 Criterion Heavy 28" match barrel I ordered from Northlander arrives this afternoon . I already have a Forster Go Gauge. I just finished removing the stock and applying some good penetrating oil to the barrel nut. The plan is to remove and install tomorrow morning. This is my first time.

I have purchased a Forster shoulder bump Neck sizing die and I have some Lapua Brass on the way. I'm thinking this will allow me to keep the Head Space tight.

After removing the barrel I will check the receiver in the area where the barrel lug makes contact and remove any irregularities. Then screw the barrel snug (how snug?) to the head space gauge and torque the Barrel nut to 35 ft lbs. I will use tape on the back of the Go Gauge to check No GO.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

The Stock:

I plan to use the Factory stock until the Prairie Dog/Tactical stock arrives from Stockade. I figure this will give me the opportunity to perform my first pillar bedding job on the factory stock without much worry. (except permanently gluing the action to it) I have read extensively on the bedding process but I'm still nervous about it for some reason.

I have already had one small adventure with the factory stock http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,47596.0.html The previous owner had refinished the wood (poorly) There is a small crack on the right side of the back of the receiver contact point. I have removed excess finishing material from the tang area and both receiver contact points. I guess the point in telling you this is that it has been messed with and is in fairly poor condition. It is straight though.

I thought I might start by doing a pillar bed only. Then in a separate operation do the rest of the receiver and recoil lug with the receiver lightly torqued. This may be inefficient but will it cause any quality issues?

Thanks in advance.