I am wondering if a prefit barrel could be competitive with the best custom chambered & installed barrels out there, or if the prefits are generally very good, but not quite on the same level as a professionally installed barrel.

The reason for my question is that I do not have the budget at this point in my life for a professionally built, dedicated target rifle; but now that some friends and I are looking into assembling a couple of hunting/recreational target rifles, I thought I would see how far a Savage can be taken on a budget and perhaps build a dedicated target rifle afterall.

I see a lot of great looking reviews on several of the prefit barrel makers, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options when it comes to how the chambers are cut (which is something that seems to be an advantage on the professionally built rifles...a.k.a. the rifles I can't afford)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone offers semi-custom prefits with options as to neck diamension and throating length, but still at a price that is somewhat more affordable than a full on custom fitted barrel. . . . or would I basically have to pay to have a custom remear or remears built to achieve this kind of customization. (I'm sure this question reveals exactly how ignorant I am, but I am still reading and researching exactly how these things are done, so please excuse my lack of knowledge for the moment...I am endeavouring to learn)