I built my rifle from a 30-06 to a 338 wm a year or so ago, and had never fired it before, until today. The hunt I built it for fell through (long story) and I had honestly inserted and tested the magazine to cycle the empty cases and loaded ammo in it. Not sure what changed, but took it out with the son this morning and the rounds wouldn't stay in the magazine. Just popped right out.

This is the old style drop box magazine, by the way.

I took the mag out and filled it with '06 rounds and they worked perfectly, sooooo.

Looking at Midway, the follower for 300wm (should be the same thing) is on out of stock, back order OK.

Anyone know where else I can get one? Also do I need to change the magazine too? I hope not as they are expensive, $50+.

By the way, we only fired a handful of rounds through it, but I was pleasantly surprised with the recoil. Nowhere near what I have heard about this caliber. I was shooting handloads of 70gr of H4350 pushing a 200gr soft point. Recoil was stout, but no worse than my 2,000fps, 300gr loads for the Marlin 45-70.

Not sure if a full charge load with a 250gr bullet would be a whole lot worse though.