Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just cant decide, axix or model 11 fcns....

Herman

Re: I just cant decide, axix or model 11 fcns....

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur
    ....took it off, looked back through the scope, got on target and started pulling the trigger again, but since I had just been pulling really hard, it went off WAY before I was ready.... ;D
    I had a similar thing happen while I was deer hunting. I was using my dad's gun. I have the same gun, just in a different caliber, so I didn't shoot it before hand. Deer came out, I removed the safety, touched the trigger and BOOM! Total miss. Managed to get the deer on a follow-up shot. Later he tells me, oh yea, the trigger has been worked. It was way lighter than my gun.

When I shoot at the range I have a rest under the forearm and the butt of the stock. Get a good rest and a bean bag rest for the butt and that will help improve. The more I remove "me" from the shooting, the tighter the groups.

Also, shoot some more. My groups really tightened up after 70-100 rounds. Try different ammunition as well. I can't get under 3" groups with some ammunition. You'll get best groups if you reload, but can get excellent groups with factory ammo once you find what your gun likes.

I also shoot worse...or at least have in the past..... with larger calibers. I have a flinch and honed my skills with a .22LR so I didn't have to worry about recoil and could just focus on the basics.

rez187

if i owned a savage that shot 3-4 inches i would consider it a "lemon" from savage. savages shoot much better than that unless somethings wrong (shooter).

i think they called it edge because its on the edge of being Remington quality (poor)!

dacaur

Well, sent rounds 17-36 down the bbl today.... still no groups to speak of.... I had a slightly better rest today, but I think I just need to get a sandbag... I would get a two within an inch, then two in random spots.....

I really have to say, I hate the trigger.... It breaks clean but its too darn heavy.... I think I'm going to get a light spring and see how that is, Ive read in a couple places that does the trick... if I could get it down below 4# I think I could do better....

We will see....

DoubleUp

It takes some practice and honing of skills to be a consistent sub moa shooter, and lighter rifles that are in larger calibers are harder to shoot because of the flinch factor. It will all come together for you I'm sure. My A/E didn't really start printing tight until I got above 100 rds down the tube. It would shoot sub moa, but not sub .5 until I shot it a good bit. Both the 223 and 308 will normally shoot many thousands of rds. before wearing out a barrel, and the more you use it the better you'll become. Lightening the trigger will make a tremendous difference.

bigtoe

I just bought an axis/edge in. 223 and am very happy with it. I wouldnt consider it the edge of Remington quality as posted earlier. It probably will not set in the gun cabinet with my other 4 Savages because it will be in my truck. Topped it with a Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster i had in the safe and after about 20-30 rounds got it to group .65 at a 100 yds with Hornady 55gr v-max and 22.5 gr of H335. I own 2 model 11, 1 116, and a 110. Is it as nicely built as any of my other Savages? No. Does it perform on par with them? Yes, its a Savage. My. 02 worth.

Herman

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe
    ...group .65 at a 100 yds with Hornady 55gr v-max and 22.5 gr of H335.
    I'm using 25 gr of H335 under 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and I'm getting just under .5 (7/16" to be exact).

bigtoe

I have some 55 gr Nosler Ballistic tips but havent tried them yet. Might be time to load up a batch. I did want to ask rez187 if he had ever shot the axis/edge as to why he thinks they are Remington quality. A 3" to 4" group does not indicate the gun is a lemon or that the shooter is at fault. Any number of variables could cause the gun to group that way. My 110 .270 hates factory Federal loads. Group was 3.5" to 5". Remington CorLokt shrunk it to a little over 1" group. Handloads made it a tack driver. My 116 30-06 loves factory Federal loads and Remington CorLokts but hates Winchester ballistic tips. Every gun is different. There are to many variables to check to just say the gun is a lemon or the shooter is at fault. Especially when the gun is not in your hands.

dacaur

yea my problem could definitely be the ammo too, since I have only tried one type yet... saving my brass because I'm going to start hand loading this summer... Next time I go out Ill pick up a box of something different to try... It would be too bad if it was the ammo, I can get this for $12.99/box..... Remington in a green and white box.... I bought a bunch figuring even if its no good, I still have 80 brass cases to reload later... I wanted to go back and buy a bunch more next week, but now I might wait to see if my problem is the ammo or me, I'm going to have a couple other people shoot it next Sunday, one ex-army and one current army.... and I will be bringing a couple sand bags.... cant afford a nice rest, and dont want to get used to using one anyway since I wont have it out hunting....

Herman

This is what I use for a front rest - http://www.cabelas.com/product/MTM-F...oducts&Ntt=mtm

And then one of these (the rear one) for the butt - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Benches-Rests|/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104212080/Cabelas-Un-Filled-Shooting-Bags/733565.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshoot ing-shooting-accessories-benches-rests%2F_%2FN-1100226%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%25 3Bcat104769180%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Won't break the bank and makes for a solid enough rest. And buy up and shoot the cheap ammo. That's how I get my brass.

bigtoe

Dacaur, the Remington ammo your talking about in the green and white box is probably the UMC ammo. Herman is right on to buy the ammo and get your brass. Wally world used to carry a little gun vice that would fit your needs but aint nothing wrong with sand bags. Really you neex to try several different brands like you said and also a couple of different weights. Some guns like light bullets some like heavy. I would also check your scope and mount to make sure everything is good and tight. A loose mount gave me fits for weeks. I was about to sell the gun when I decided to try a differnt scope and found the mount was loose. Groups tightened up immediately and humbled me at the same time. Getting your buddies to shoot the gun is a great idea. Keep us up to date on your progress.

rez187

im lucky enough to have worked part time in a large gun shop and as such was able to shoot just about every gun we sold including many cooper models (i actually got to meet dan cooper) i agree there are tons of variables i own 6 savages and i just think savage did a poor job on the axis/edge. i am still a savage fan just dont think as this post started as whats better the axis/edge or 11fcns in my mind they are sooo far apart in quality that its obserd.

bigtoe

Rez187, I agree that the quality of the axis/edge is not near that of an 11fcns. I think the OP was not asking about which one was better quality but asking which one would better suite his needs with the list he gave. My reason for getting the axis/edge was to have a gun that I wouldnt mind getting scratches when its in my truck beating around the farm. I dont want to scratch up or tear up my. 22-250 while going through rutts and mudholes on back roads. I think these guns were made so fancy rednecks wouldnt mess up there favorite rifle. I do consider myself a fancy redneck by the way. LOL

dmpowder

Quote Originally Posted by rez187
    if you live anywhere it get cold tell me how long you think an axis/edge magazine release is going to last? that plastic is not gonna last long as it flrxes and bends in cold weather. can you say design flaw?
    Had my Edge out in -22F weather while coyote calling and it held up just fine! Sounds like you have a thing against the Edge/Axis rifles for some reason?? Could it be because the $300 gun shoots just as good as your $600+ gun??

Quote Originally Posted by dmpowder
    Quote Originally Posted by rez187
    if you live anywhere it get cold tell me how long you think an axis/edge magazine release is going to last? that plastic is not gonna last long as it flrxes and bends in cold weather. can you say design flaw?
    Had my Edge out in -22F weather while coyote calling and it held up just fine! Sounds like you have a thing against the Edge/Axis rifles for some reason?? Could it be because the $300 gun shoots just as good as your $600+ gun??
    Does it shoot as good? Most likely. With right loads I would bet that it could. However the first poster was only commenting on the Mag release. Will a plastic mag release last as long as a metal one? I highly doubt it.

Is it a design flaw? No. The Edge/Axis was designed to be an entry level rifle to compete with guns like the Remmy 710/770, and the Wal-Mart version Mossbergs, etc. Does it do that? Yes. Is it better than the competition in that class? Yes.

Unfortunatly to get all the features that the Edge/Axis has in that Entry Level Class price Range, some things were just not going to be made as well. Looks like the mag release is one of the things that suffered, and in my opinion so did the trigger, but again thats just my opinion.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    Does it shoot as good? Most likely. With right loads I would bet that it could. However the first poster was only commenting on the Mag release. Will a plastic mag release last as long as a metal one? I highly doubt it.
    It depends on the particular plastic its made out of. Many polymers will far outlast metal in that type of application (mag release tab)
    Just because its "plastic" doesn't mean its inferior.

People make many assumptions. One being that just because a particular feature is on an inexpensive rifle, and its not the way "everyone else" does it, it MUST be junk, right?
    Just like the "new" poly trigger guard on ruger 10/22's. Its different from what it used to be so it must be junk, but those that have tried both with an open mind report they cant tell the difference, even on worked triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur
    People make many assumptions. One being that just because a particular feature is on an inexpensive rifle, and its not the way "everyone else" does it, it MUST be junk, right?
    I am a logical kinda of guy, if it was better than metal and cheaper to produce (since plasitc parts are almost always cheaper to make than metal ones) they why did Savage only elect to put it on their "Entry Level" and not on all the new models?

Look at the Remmy 710's. They put a plastic bolt guid sleeve inside of the action. The bolt slides on plastic rails. When new they felt pretty good, after 100-200 rounds the bolt gets sloppy and drags on the worn edges of the plastic.

All I know is I have had several Plastic releases and trigger guards fail over the years and I have yet to have a metal one fail. Most plastics get brittle and crack in cold weather and won't take the abuse steel will at those temps. Thats all I am saying.

Hey now, Savage lovers have been dealing with that kind of metallity from the Rem-chester crowd for years, so i hear what you are saying. "It's a cheap gun with an ugly nut. Get rid of that junk and buy a man's gun" is just one of the things I have been told at the range. They ussually change their story when their $2000 Custom gets shown up by a $600 Savage.

I think the Edge/Axis is a nice platform for those who want an affordable rifle that will shoot. I think that the trigger is a little stiff, but its not too hard to fix that now. These are just my observations and opinions. Not trying to start a pissing match, cuz frankly no one wins when that hapens, except maybe everyones bladders :D.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Freese

I have a 111FCNS and was thinking about getting an Axis that I would use as a semi-custom build project. You know, replace the trigger, stock, and recoil lug for starters, then T&T the action and see where we stand. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action or is the quality so bad that I can't get it's function/performance better than my 111FCNS? I welcome some first hand opinion before I possibly throw away my money.

looking for a budget 270. have held the axis and i have no doubt it can be a shooter but much like the 770 it is niot for me. i am going to go the used stevens route instead which is the axis price new at wally. i just like the feel of the 200 alot better.

Freese, Doing all that to an Axis is possible but I can't say that I have heard of too many aftermarket stock options for the Axis/Edge rifles. Might wanna check on that before making a decision. Just a thought.

DoubleUp

Probably not a good idea right now to buy an A/E with the idea of much modification other than trigger work or polishing the lugs, etc. Do you want it to shoot good or look good?

You're better with what you have for that or pick up a Stevens to completely rework. On the other hand if you want a rifle than shoots excellent and you don't want a fortune tied up in something that you keep in your truck or even a light carry rifle, then consider the A/E.

sayak

I've owned dozens of rifles over the years. Some I have liked; others not so much. I have hunted with every rifle I have ever owned. That is why I buy them. I currently have two Edges; one a .223, and te other a .270. I like them and have no plans to throw them away like a Bic lighter. I have modified them to meet my needs, and hell, I may just buy another in .308. Say what you want about the Edge, but I'll tell you this: Though they are not for uppity connoisseurs and rifle gurus, for the average guy who likes to shoot and bring home game, they are cheap, they are accurate and they are durable. Soon there will be aftermarket stocks for them as well. I'm glad Savage came out with this Volkswagon beetle of rifles.
    Don't bother flaming me; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

dacaur

Well, here is my newest update....

Took it out again with 2 new types of ammo, some federal 150 grain and some Remington 180 grain. (the ones I used before were Remington 150 grain)

The 180 grain rounds didn't group well, I shot 8 of them and couldn't even see the holes through the scope, when I got the the targets I found they shot about 6 inches low so thats why I didn't see them, heh I shot two groups, each about 4-5 inches....
    The federal 150 grain rounds did pretty well, the first two groups ended up at about 2.5 inches, grouping 3 inches left and an inch low, so after adjusting my scope I shot one more mag of the first Remington 150 grain rounds and found it was grouping at about half the size it had last time I was out (I only brought one mag worth of those) So I went back the the federal 150grain rounds and shot the final group of the day, since the range was closing... the first 3 went into under 1.5 inches, with the third widening the group to about 2.5 inches......

IMO not bad, since I was using a carpeted box as a rest, and resting the rear of the stock on my left hand.... most people there there were using gun rests/vices.... I took a look at their targets while I was in the pit and have to say, they didn't do any better than me, some much worse...

So Yea, I am happy with the gun....

Herman

See - you just needed to shoot some more and try different ammo. I'd be willing to bet your groups will continue to shrink with your next few outings as your barrel breaks in and you get used to your gun.

dacaur

Took her out again this weekend.....

Very impressed with this gun!!!. With the original remington rounds it was grouping around 3.5 inches. before I left I shot the last of the federals (the ones it likes best) and got a group with 3 holes touching, then the 4th 1.5 inches down and right.... This seems to be a recurring theme here... it will shoot the first three great, then the 4th is down and right..... Is it just the bbl heating and I should wait longer between shots? right now I am shooting the 4 round mag with about 30 seconds between shots.

Could be the barrel heating up. Try waiting 5 min (or longer) between shots for 5 shots and see if that makes any difference. That should tell you if its barrel heat or not. I am sure it has already been said somewhere in these 4 pages of posts but, Be sure the barrel is free-floating also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast