Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Target Series specs & tolerances?

Senderofan

Re: Savage Target Series specs & tolerances?

Quote Originally Posted by jinx-)
    frustrating yes, feels like I wasted 1K for nothing... here is what max seating depth looks like in my chamber using 140 grain bullets, that's touching lands.

[img width=600 height=330]http://imageshack.us/m/851/7648/bulseatd.jpg[/img]

one bullet is 140 gr Nosler CC other 139 gr Lapua Scenar
    I messed up when I purchased the reamer for my .260 Improved....the heavier bullets were seated deeper than what yours is. Purchased a "Throat Reamer" and lengthened the Leade of my chamber. My rig is designed to thrive on 139-142 gr. bullets. Perhaps your chamber could be fine tuned with a throat reamer and increasing the Leade?

Wayne

Basic Member

Jinx-) maybe Sinman or someone would ream that throat of yours out a little longer.

He was offering to rechamber barrels very reasonably not too long ago.

Can you get the barrel off yourself?

jinx-)

If I'm going to get new barrel it will be Shilen or Krieger, if I to spend money on new barrel why not get the best. Sinman, I can't recall anything from him, who is he?

About new throat for this chamber, currently I'm researching gunsmiths in my area to do this job, so far I left bunch of messages, but no reply. I think if I can get throat extended to seat 140 gr nicer it will be fine.

Basic Member

I can't imagine having the throat lengthened would cost nearly as much as a new barrel. But as it has already been pointed out, it may not do any thing for you.

Sinman, I can't recall anything from him, who is he?
    www.sin-arms.com

Devin is very maticulus and takes pride in his work. He should be able to to anything you need!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

jinx-)

If I can't find anybody to do it close to home I will try Sinman, why not.

here is few more groups, but I blame wind for horizontal spreading, it was gusting 25 mph, vertical wasn't me 98%.

[img width=347 height=450]http://imageshack.us/m/41/8263/hundredyard3.jpg[/img]

jinx-)

Here is what I found on Hornady website:
    "By loading longer bullets and seating them farther out so they'll touch the rifling - making powder charge adjustments as necessary, of course - accuracy can often be improved."
    http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/internal

So I think I might have a shot in increasing accuracy with extending freebore.

tipper999

So you can only seat to mag length where would that 140VLD be seated in the case then ???

jinx-)

This chamber allows Max OAL for 139 Scenar shows 2.840" and Nosler CC 2.760". Magazine will let 3" so there are still room left, only if chamber would allow it.

Senderofan

Quote Originally Posted by tipper999
    So you can only seat to mag length where would that 140VLD be seated in the case then ???
    In my Remington.....They are at least 1/8" or so too long to load in the magazine. For me...I don't care since I use it as a single shot.

Sorry I had mentioned lengthening the freebore when someone else mentioned it. But, I wanted to share that I had to do the very thing to seat the heavier bullets out to where they need to be.

I'll try and post a picture....The round on the left is a 140 gr. seated to magazine length and my original chamber specs. The round on the right is my new chamber spec. The OAL difference is 0.18".

[img][/img]

Wayne

P.S.

This is obviously regular 260 brass and not the improved case.

jinx-)

That's exactly how I would like my loads to look like and I don't care about magazine, I would like to use follower in the single shot mode. Called local gunsmith today, he told me 150 buck to get freebore extended, I think this job should cost around 30 - 40 bucks, takes just few minutes to do it on the lathe. I heard it can be done by hand.

Basic Member

Ask Devin, he seems to be pretty reasonable. Yes, it can be done by hand.

jinx-)

Right now I'm waiting on bore scope to get this tube inspected, untill I know for sure that tube is good I'm not sending it anywhere,
    its something fishy about it, just look at this crown, I thought target crowns supposed to have 60 degree edges along muzzle just like this:
    [img width=600 height=353]http://img804.yfrog.com/img804/3200/crownh.jpg[/img]

but on my rifle it doesn't, when I insert q-tip it traps cotton along the edges:

[img width=561 height=450]http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/7476/crown2.jpg[/img]

and the perpendicular tool marks resulting heavy copper buildup specially in the critical section before muzzle:

[img width=502 height=450]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5784/crown1.jpg[/img]

here what target crown looks like on my TC ICON Precision Hunter, this thing is a shooter 0.25" 5 shots 100 yards.

r29l20

Sounds like you just found your problem, or a problem anyway. :)

Muzzle crowns... have been, and continue to be... one of the factory's weak spots, IMO.

That said, the one on my 12 LRP 6.5 CM looks much as yours does, and doesn't seem to be holding it back much. Maybe its just a matter of yours being just a fuzz worse, just enough to matter? A recrown shouldn't cost too much. I'm getting a brake put on mine sometime this summer/fall/whenever the 'smith I use has an opening; I'll probably have him touch up the crown when he has it chucked up in the lathe already.

jinx-)

Contacted Savage, they want my rifle back for inspection. I think its good idea, I'm tired of addressing this, all I want is decent rifle which can shoot nice groups.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12